Wednesday, January 6, 2010

What's in Your Pantry?

**blog candy here**

I have been inspired by Monica's blog to take one month and just eat from the "pantry". From what I've read on other blogs is that you only buy dairy (milk, eggs, & cheese) and fresh produce. This will be a challenge, but I'm up to it.

Now it will seem like I'm cheating somewhat as the boys eat lunch at school, we butcher our own meat (so the freezer is full of deer, chicken and a little bit of hamburger), we can alot of veggies and fruits from the summer, and I make my own bread. But it's still a challenge.

Others are doing it for the month of January, but since I just read about this yesterday, I started then and will go until Feb 5th.

I've been thinking about how to do this. I will keep a running tally of what I spend and meals that I make from my "pantry". I will try to post recipes and/or links.

So yesterday we had cereal for breakfast, I had a lettuce salad and veggies for lunch (I take my lunch as I'm not very fond of the school lunch Ü) and Bruce ate leftovers. For supper we had leftovers for supper. (There have been lots of leftovers from the late Christmas gatherings due to the blizzards we had earlier....oh and speaking of blizzards, I am home as we are in another one...see pictures below)

Today's menu:


Breakfast: French Toast (which I WOULDN'T have made as we now only have ONE egg and I was planning to get eggs today before they called off school. I HATE buying eggs, but with this freezing weather, the chicks just aren't laying.)

Dinner: Spinach noodles with diced chicken (already cooked and shredded in the frig) and bacon and alfredo sauce, garlic toast and pear cobbler.

Supper: Homemade Chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes and garden salad and left over cobbler. (**I have some egg mixture left from French toast this morning and I plan to add flour to it to make my noodles so there is no waste)

here are a couple of pictures of the blizzard we are in today.

5 comments:

  1. I would hate to be in the blizzard you are having but the pictures are very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could totally do this- my husband, not so much!!!!! lol. Can't wait to read more about it! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brr, looks freezy...maybe even colder than here in Minnesota? (Although I think it's coming our way tomorrow.)

    BTW, Debbie, I read about that "eat from the pantry" thing, too! I'm not officially taking on that challenge, but we're making a serious effort to use up what is in our freezer & cupboards and only buy milk, produce, and other perishable items to cut down our grocery bill. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes for you and what you end up making! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. we could so not do this- especially since DH doesn't start his new job for another week and a half- he seems to eat non stop. although we used to survive on a once a month shop when my kids were younger- through neccessity more than anything- one income once a month- hard going. we are about to have a heat wave hear of 38-42C.- unsure what that works out as in F. but hot so feel for you all over there

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you are safe and snug at home!

    Good luck on your challenge....sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete