Thursday, November 6, 2014

House Treat Box

Our challenge this week for Cutting Cafe was to use either the House Shaped Card set or the 3D House SetI chose to use the 3D house with a bit of a twist. I had seen on Pinterest where they made a house without a roof for a treat box and knew I wanted to do the same. After I fill it with goodies, I can make a tag that says something like "from my (our) house to yours".
First I cut the house out of kraft cardstock. I used the open roof option and just cut off the tabs. I glued a book page to the roof and designer paper for the house sides to the kraft cardstock with Mono Aqua Liquid Glue. I wanted to use and adhesive that I could apply to the entire piece of paper so it wouldn't bubble up where there wasn't adhesive (in humid weather) and to make it a bit stronger when it dried. I would have preferred using a glue stick, but was out, so just used what I had.I then cut a cracker box up and adhered that to the inside of each piece to make it even stronger. I laid the pieces out and adhered the side tabs all together with the exception of the last side so that it laid flat and did my decorating  of the front and back of the house sides (the back only has the rick rack and glittery rope piece).


I hand cut a little chimney and added that to the front of the house roof. The door was created using the rounded top door piece and moving one of the window pieces into it. I enlarged it and it's hard to tell, but added a piece of vellum behind the window.
To finish it off I created a base using  chipboard aka cracker box covered with another book page, adding chunky glitter to the roof, door and windows, punching holes in the sides to create a handle. I had sooooo much fun creating this and now want to make a bunch of them. I want to make some houses with roofs as well.

Be sure to visit the Cutting Cafe Blog on the 7th to see the design team's projects in which you can leave a comment to be entered into a drawing to win 3 FREE sets of your choice from the online store.

6 comments:

  1. hey lady you always come up with some of the most awesome ideas...this is so sweeeeettttttt

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a sweet house and I love the open roof option. Love the tinsel too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a cute treat bag Debbie! Love the tinsel handle

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a genius! I love how you made this into a treat box. I really like the use of the book pages too =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute and I Love how you made this a treat box too!!

    ReplyDelete