Friday, February 7, 2014

Frugal Friday 2-7

*had a couple of birthday coffee's to attend. I wanted to give something that I already have, so gave a handmade card and one of these dish cloths that I made last year. I have been giving several of them as gifts and now am down to only 2 left, so need to get more made.

*DH bought a hunting coat and other hunting clothes for very little. He had Cabela gift cards, plus Christmas money, so didn't cost him anything even though they were all discounted and a great bargain.

*I help host a monthly "ladies nite out" and at the last one, it was a movie theme and we had nachos, candy and pop. There were LOTS of chips, taco meat, cheese and pop left over and I was told to take it home. No way DH and I could eat it all, so divided some out for taco salad, nachos and tacos for us and took the rest to youth group and they loved it! We also rarely buy pop, so it was a treat for DH to have a few cans to enjoy.

*3 lb chicken breasts on sale for $4.99. We have had this grilled, in tacos, and on salad and still have over 1/2 left.

*we had more nice weather to dry clothes on the line (a week ago, not this week...WAY to cold and had to use the dryer)

*earned $15 in swagbucks to Amazon and $25 to Walmart

*rec'd a book from Blogging For Books to read and review

* downloaded free books on my kindle from Amazon and CBD

*made 19 dish cloths from cotton yarn I already had (that I had purchased from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon). Will show those on Monday's Pinned It Made It post

*I read a couple of blogs that share frugal accomplishments and many times they post homemade food items. We RARELY eat out, so all our meals are homemade. I share a lot of the new recipes I try on my Monday "Pinned It Made It" posts. So unless it is something that I normally buy and decided to save and make (or didn't have it on hand), I won't be posting that here, BUT...

 I made my own dry onion soup mix to put on a roast. I couldn't tell any difference from the store bought, but was nice to not be filled with preservatives and tasted just as yummy. Carrie from With All That I've Been Given shared this recipe with me. Be sure to stop by her blog to read about her frugal accomplishments.

Dry Onion Soup Mix

3/4 cup instant minced onion
1/3 cup beef bouillon powder
4 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed celery seed
1/4 teaspoon sugar

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container. About 5 tablespoons of mix are equal to 1 1¼-ounce package.


What are your frugal ways of saving? I would love to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mention, Debbie. So nice you received all those nacho leftovers, and that you were able to share some! It has been way too cold here to even think about drying clothes outside. Brrr!

    ReplyDelete