Monday, March 21, 2011

Newsworthy + Doily Challenge

Monday's challenge on Splitcoaststampers was to use newspaper. I love the look of using newspaper, so was up to the challenge. I have seen these really cool paper flowers where you kinda wad the paper up and roll it, so did a Youtube search and kind of combined several together that I saw. Don't really have a clue what I'm doing, but I liked how it turned out.

My friend Pam sent me some paper doilies a few week's back with a challenge to use them in a project, so I decided to combine it with the newsworthy challenge. I love the vintage look I got.

Here are a few steps to show you what I did.
1. I hand cut a circle about the size of the flower I wanted, then added Tombow's Stamp Runner Permanent Adhesive all over the circle.

2. I cut a 1.5" strip of newspaper and wadded it up, smoothed it out and then twisted and rolled it and pressed it into the adhesive circle.

3. Here is what it looks like after I finished going around the whole circle.

4. Then to color it, I used a Tombow Dual Brush Pen and my Art Air gun and spritzed color all over it until it was the shade I wanted. I actually used 2 different shades.

5. To make the stem, I just twisted a piece of newsprint and sprayed it 2 colors of green and adhered to my doily that I had spritzed with a tan to give it a vintage look.

6. For the leaves I used my adhesive to adhere the newsprint to scrap cardstock and then hand cut leaves out, spritzed them with green marker, and scrunched them up and placed them behind the roses where I wanted them. The cardstock behind the newsprint gave them more body.


7. I finished the centers off with pearls like I saw Trudy did. I had planned to use buttons like I saw on YouTube, but I didn't have any tiny enough for my flowers.

Here are the Dual Brush Pens I used:
                                          990, 195, 977, 098, 761, 772

8 comments:

  1. Your roses look fabulous, and I love the doily as well!! Gorgeous card, Debbie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this idea! I will have to give it a try! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really neat Debbie!! Can't wait to try! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your card! I've been wanting to do something with newspaper and these flowers too! Great outcome...maybe someday I'll have time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie this is awsome, love this tut, I'm gonna try it out
    hugs
    Ildz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Debbie, You've been tagged on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is great debbie! have to try it. thanks for sharing.

    kitty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this, and NEED to try it! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete