Monday, January 1, 2018

My Word for 2018

Since I was 19, I would choose a word, phrase, or even song that I wanted to represent my new year. Now it's a "thing" and all over the blogging world to choose one word or phrase, etc.

This year my word is Hygge. If you have not heard of this word, you are probably thinking "WHAT?!" LOL Hygge is the Danish art of happiness. I stumbled upon this word on a favorite blog of mine; The Homespun Heart. I was so intrigued that I have been researching this word and reading as much about it as I can. It 100% speaks to me and is something I want to embrace and create in my home and my life. You can read more about it here and here.

Hygge (/ˈhjuːɡə/ HEW-gə or /ˈhɡə/ HOO-gə) is the Scandinavian word for a mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and contentment. Over recent years, hygge became a defining characteristic of Danish culture.

I rarely make a list of New Year's Resolutions as they seem to get forgotten by the end of January or February. But as I have thought about all I want to accomplish in 2018, I decided to not only make a list of goals (maybe by calling them 'goals', they are more doable? LOL), and even scarier, to put them out here as a way of being accountable.

I have kept Hygge on my mind as I created this list.

1. 2018 in 2018 Decluttering Challenge...I joined a minimalism group on FB and they have a goal to declutter 2018 item in 2018. I started going through each room last year and got rid of a lot of things, but still have so much more I can get rid of, so now I will be counting them all as they hit the trash can or get put into the Goodwill bag. Decluttering the whole house will definitely make it more hyggeligt!
HERE is a link to the FB page if you would like to join

2. 40 bags in 40 days...seeing a trend here? LOL There is also a group that starts in February called 40 Bags in 40 Days. You choose the size of bags you use to count as your 40 bags. The idea is to have gotten rid of 40 bags by Easter.
THIS link will tell you more about it.

3. Create 365 cards...I have so many stamping/scrapping/paper supplies, that I can easily do this and STILL have supplies left over. Using up supplies will create Hygge in my craft room AND crafting provokes feelings of contentment...a win/win

4. Try 2 new recipes/month...I have so many pinned recipes that I want to try them and then keep them on my pinned board or delete them if they aren't 'keepers'. I am blessed to have a husband that is willing to try new food and we have found many new favorites from Pinterest.

5. Read 25 books...that is one over 2/month. Very doable and I enjoy reading. Reading is very Hygge to me and esp in the cold months like right now. Cozying up under a blanket with a hot drink and a book...perfection!

6. Put items on Buy/Sell/Trade...this one makes me nervous. The sight has so many rules that I haven't done it for fear of doing it wrong. But I want to try to learn something new, conquer the fear, and bonus, earn a little extra spending money for fun things, like taking a friend to a coffee shop, buying a just because gift, eating out (something we rarely do), etc.

7. Completely decluttering and organizing my creative space. I have so many things that I no longer use that I can sell, give away, etc and I want to make this a totally functional room. It also has NO electrical outlets in it and I want to get some installed.

8. Create/Design/Etc 2 pinned items/jmonth that are not food related...as stated above with pinned food, I have a LOT of pinned ideas on Pinterest. I plan to go through each of my board and not only clean them up, but actually try some of the the pins.

9. Twelve RAK's...if you are unfamiliar with RAK, it stands for Random Acts of Kindness. I figure if I am making 365 cards and possibly 24 pinned projects from Pinterest, I can be intentional in randomly gifting someone a month. What better gift to receive than one that is a complete surprise and just because.

YIKES! There, I did it...I wrote it all out, will hit send and will try to update throughout the year how I am doing.
(my goal is to try the last day of each month, but we'll see how that goes)

Do you choose a word/phrase/song, etc for your new year? If so, I would love to hear about it.

1 comment:

  1. Love your goals for 2018. Good Luck in making them happen!

    ReplyDelete