Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My Boys are HOME!

YAY!!! My boys are back! We picked them up Saturday. It seems to take Benjamin time to transition back. We are slowly hearing stories of his two weeks in AK and I have some pictures that I will share with you a little at a time this week.

Aaron had fun helping with Bible School and I hear he is quite the actor. LOL!! He's always been melodramatic, so I believe it. Ü

When the boys are gone for a few days and come home, I make their favorite foods and usually a special dessert. This is the dessert I made and it was YUMMY! They both loved it. The only things I did different was I didn't divide the chocolate pudding powder. I added 2 cups milk to all of it. I also used crushed Butterfingers instead of Heath bars because I knew the boys both liked Butterfingers. They also loved the goodie baskets on their dressers.

For the main dish I made the easiest French Dip my friend Gloria shared with me...

one dry pkg Italian Dressing (found in the salad dressing section)

one dry pkg AuJus mix
1 can beef boullion (or French Onion soup)
2 large chuck steaks

Add it all to the crock pot and cook til done. I put it in at 7:30 am on high and it was done at 11:30.

I also like to cook a thinly sliced onion in butter until done and put on toasted buns (butter bun and fry in pan until golden brown) with the yummy meat.

Aaron's favorite....

Golden Carrot Buns

4 c cooked sliced carrots (I use our canned carrots)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup warm water (110* to 115*), divided
2 pkgs (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
3/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon molasses
2 teaspoons salt
8 1/2-9 cups all-purpose flour

Place carrots in a blender or food processor. Add eggs and 1/2 cup water; puree until smooth. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in remaining water. Add carrot mixture. Stir in oil, sugar, mollasses, salt and 5 cups flour; beat until smooth.

Add enough remaining flour to foram a soft dough. Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.

Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down.

Shape into roll. Place 2" apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 1 hour.

Bake at 350* for 18-20 minutes or until browned.

Now I leave you with a few pictures from Alaska (you can click on the photos to see them larger)...
Benjamin (on the left) and his friend Jonathon at the top of a mountain they climbed

1 comment:

  1. HI
    I follow your blog daily!!!
    I lived in Alaska from 1996-2004, in Anchorage. I love it when I see that others have visited and enjoyed. Although I've been gone for 5 yrs, I've been back to visit several times and want to move back permanently. It's a wonderful place. Londra

    ReplyDelete