Monday, March 31, 2014

Pinned It Made It Monday Week 13

Last week I shared THIS basket that was inspired by THIS pin which was inspired by THIS pin which was made from a paper plate. Ü

Well, scoring and cutting a circle is not all the easy, as you need to have 90 degree angles. So as I'm making the first one, I'm thinking "why not score the cardstock BEFORE punching into a circle?"  WA-LA it worked!


The pink check is from Fancy Pants' Hopscotch line and the flower paper and embellishments are from My Mind's Eye. The ribbon is vintage seam binding.

Here are the scoring measurements I used to do this...

On a 12" x 12" sheet of cardstock, score one edge at 3",
turn 90° and score at 4.5"
turn 90° and score at 3"
turn one last time 90° and score at 4.5"

**note: the reason I didn't score at 3" and then at 9", then turn and score at 4.5" and 7.5" as this *should* have given the same size is that not all cardstock is exactly 12".  So this way each end has the same measurement and the center which will become the bottom of the box measures approximately 3" x 6"...possibly a hair smaller if the paper isn't exactly 12" x12".

After scoring, I then punched the sheet into a circle using WeR Memory Keepers Lucky 8 Frilly Lace punch.

Then fold all the edges on the score marks already made and THEN cut on the 3" score lines opposite each other like shown on the tutorial. (the instructions say to cut 2.5", but you lose 1" when punching into a circle, so that is why I scored at 3")

Finish putting together as the tutorial showed.

11 cookies fit perfectly in the box, so I'm thinking maybe add 10 and a couple of tea bag packets for a fun gift.

If you don't have the Lucky 8 circle punch, just cut a large scallop like this one from Cutting Café's Circle Scallop file. I just enlarged the scallop circle to fit my scored 12" x 12" paper and cut, then finished it out just like the others. I used one of my flowers from CC's Paper Flower Template. I believe this is my favorite box so far.


The cookies are Molasses Cookies and I use our apple molasses that we made a few years ago when we had soooo much cider from out bumper crop. After the deep freeze was full and over flowing and we gave gallons and gallons away to friends and family, we boiled a huge canner full of apple cider down until it was thick molasses. I love the flavor it gives these cookies. You can use any molasses to make them though.


Molasses Cookies
3/4 c. margarine, softened
1 c. white sugar
1 egg
1 T. water
1/4 c. molasses
2 1/4 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
3/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/4 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350°. Cream margarine, sugar, egg, water, and molasses. Add dry ingredients; mix well. Shape into balls and roll into sugar. Place on greased cookie
sheet and bake 8-10 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. debbie what fun, yummy, amazing projects

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute projects!! My family loves molasses cookies so I make them quite often. Thanks for my suprise gift today...yummy!!! First time I ever tried biscotti.

    ReplyDelete