Monday, April 22, 2013

Pinned It Made It Monday

Since we had a snow day last week on Thursday and then Friday no school due to our school hosting SWC Music, it made for a wonderful long weekend. I went to Pinterest for inspiration of what to make for dinner one day and found another yummy recipe for chicken enchiladas. I didn't have any flour tortillas, but remembered I had a recipe pinned, so looked it up and we had a super yummy dinner!

P1220498
here are mine

rolling them out thin
frying them in our cast iron skillet

They were soooo good that it is going to be really hard to buy store bought now. Ü

Then I remembered reading HERE on Pinterest about shredding chicken with a Kitchen Aid Mixer! No kidding, it works! I just boiled some chicken breast and then drained them (saved the broth for chicken and noodles the next day) and put the breasts in the mixer and using the paddle, it shreds up perfectly!

 Here is a picture of the enchiladas 
mine
yummy recipes that are keepers and will be making again!
I am linking this up to Country Girl at Home for her Pinned It Made It Monday challenge.

Tortillas
(original Recipe from Urban Spork )
Ingredients
  • 2  3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus a little extra for rolling the tortillas
  • 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup very warm tap water

1. Work the vegetable shortening into the flour with your hands. Make sure to fully incorporate it and rub it in completely.
2. Dissolve the salt in the water. Work the water into the flour - shortening mix with a fork until a dough forms.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough smooths out. 
4. Roll the dough out into a log and cut into 12 equal pieces. Roll them into balls and either cover with plastic wrap or place in a plastic wrap. Let them rest for at least 20 minutes
5. Preheat an ungreased heavy skillet or griddle to medium high. Then roll out the dough into seven inch circles.
6. Cook the tortillas (I do them one at a time) for 30 seconds on each size. The tortilla should sizzle a bit when you place it on the hot pan.
7. As you cook them keep the other cooked tortillas warm and soft on a tinfoil covered plate. Let them soften covered by tinfoil for a minute or two before using. The tortillas on the bottom will be softer than the ones on top so use those first.

CREAM CHEESE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

Serves 4
Ingredients:
5 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup light sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt)
10 oz. can of enchilada sauce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed (canned corn works, but drain it first)
4 oz. can diced green chiles
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper
4 scallions, thinly sliced
8 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9×13 dish with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the cream cheese, sour cream, and 1/2 of the enchilada sauce. Stir in 1/2 cup of each type of cheese.
  3. In a second bowl toss together the chicken, corn, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper, green chiles, and half of the scallions. Add the chicken mixture to the cheese mixture and combine well.
  4. Spread about half of the remaining enchilada sauce (1/4 of the can) in the bottom of the baking dish.
  5. Spoon the filling into each tortilla, roll the tortilla up, and place in the baking dish with the seam down. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the filled tortillas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with the remaining scallions and serve.
Source: Adapted slightly from Buns In My Oven

4 comments:

  1. Oh boy, Debbie...you know how I love Mexican dishes...those look great....and your tortillas...I'm really impressed! I think I have those enchiladas pinned so will have to make them now!

    Thanks for joining me for Pinned it Made it Monday!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken Enchiladas are my FAVORITE!!! I make my own salsa and enchilada sauce now I'm going to have to try flour tortillas. I've always thought they were hard to make after hearing others talk about making them and have always decided to just buy the store bought. I'm just going to have to give it a shot in a couple of weeks.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! LOVE mexican food. I will have to try homemade tortillas - I know I have pinned it, now I need to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...I am seriously drooling right now! Yours look better than the "source". YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete