Friday, October 15, 2010

Pocket Folder Journal Tutorial

This is the new Friday freebie from Faith of Designed2Delight. She designed this in honor of the challenges going on each day at SCS for the Hope You Can Cling To for breast cancer.

I have family and friends who have not only faced breast cancer, but other cancers. 5 years ago, I had a brain tumor (benign and I'm doing fine, had a scare a few weeks ago, but it wasn't a tumor again, just after affects still from the surgery) and something that helped me get through the storm was journaling. So when I first saw these images I knew I had to make a journal.

This journal is quick and easy to make. I can't remember where I first saw this idea, but I tweaked it a bit and have been making them for some time now.

Supplies:
pocket folder
8" x 5" Jr. legal pad
patterned paper to decorate folder
embellishments (opt)
stamped image
ribbon
Tombow Mono Adhesive Permanent

Directions:
1. Cut pocket folder in half on crease line
2. With short edge along paper cutter edge, cut at 8.25"  (away from bottom edge) 
3. With long edge along paper cutter edge, cut at 10.5" (away from pocket end) and then score at 5 1/8" and again at 5 5/16"

4. Cut the pocket edge down as show in the picture below. This is where your notepad will fit.


5. Cut patterned paper piece 5" x 2" and cover bound edge of notepad and insert notepad over cut flap.

6. Decorate front as desired.


7. Apply adhesvie to ribbon to the front of folder and wrap around back and tie at side.

8. You can also decorate front inside flap.

 Note: One folder will make 2 notepad journals. The "pocket" will just be on the other side. When the pocket is on the left, I cut it at an angle and add a couple of paper clips. Notes and etc can be tucked inside the pocket. Then I add adhesive to the back of the notepad to hold it inside.

4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful!! Great job, I'm going to have to try this out!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous journal! Thanks for showing us how to create one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great journal!! I love that paper - my pack is about all used up. Have a good weekend with your son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH I LOVE THIS! I think I may borrow this for teacher gifts. I have a whole stack of those memo pads to use. TFS!

    ReplyDelete