Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Burlap Pumpkin

Today we have had much cooler weather and it definitely feels like fall in the air. I want to share with you a fun project I created last weekend.

I have seen painted burlap items over the last couple of years and have kept it in the back of my head that I would like to do this "some day". Well that "day" had come! Saturday & Sunday were beautiful days and I decided it was time to make something new for fall. I was inspired by this project I had seen on Pinterest.

For my pumpkin, I folded some computer paper in half (this is BIG computer paper) and just took a pair of scissors and cut what looked like 1/2 a pumpkin. I opened it up and liked what I saw, so didn't do any other adjustments.

I pinned the pattern to 2 pieces of burlap I have had for awhile now (probably a couple of years Ü) and cut out the shape and then took outside to spray paint orange. I hand painted the stem and it is REALLY stiff, so am glad I didn't hand paint the whole pumpkin (it is stiffer, but not as stiff as the stem). I also hand painted the polka dots.


I let that dry and then sewed the edges together and VERY lightly stuffed it. I added the bow made with May Arts ribbon with a Tombow Power Tab. I love that the ribbon was wired to give the bow character. To the back I added a pop can top with a Power Tab to hang my pumpkin outside the house.

Now I think I need to make another one, but this one with chevron design. Ü

**entering this in the Crafty Friends Challenge #7

2 comments:

  1. To cute Debbie...miss going to BB craft shows and seeing what you come up with. So glad you have a blog! Love your ideas and keep them coming. I have a few yards of burlap and know I know what it is supposed to become...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable, Debbie...and you did a fantastic job with your own pattern!! I love the polka dots and ribbon too!!

    ReplyDelete