Wednesday, October 28, 2015

What's Cookin'? {Pinterest Inspired}

It's been a long time since I posted any Pinterest-inspired recipes. I've actually made quite a few since the last time I posted about it.

Recently, a city near to me ("near" means 30 minutes away where I live Ü) became a site for Bountiful Baskets. I have rec'd my "baskets" every time so far and it's been fun to try new fruits and veggies that I normally wouldn't purchase from the store.

This past Friday was our turn (you get baskets every other week) and in my "baskets" were pomegranate, grapefruit, apples, lemons, canteloupe,  Mexican squash, yellow squash, radishes, lettuce, and red potatoes. We normally get 6 fruits and 6 veggies and then a bonus item if all 96 baskets (the limit each site can have) are contributed for. There was a little mix up and some of the goodies didn't come, but we still ended up with lots of yummy food.

Out of the above, I've never had fresh pomegranate or Mexican squash. We received some oranges in the last basket and I still had a couple left, so made Pomegranate Orange Scones. YUM! So good and it makes the house smell amazing as well while they are baking! I changed up the recipe just a bit and those notes are in the original recipe I used below in red.

Usually scones are only really good right out of the oven (to me anyway), but these were even better the next 2 days.

The next recipe I used using pomegranates was Pomegranate Fudge from Buns in My Oven. Oh. MY!!! This stuff is dangerous! And oh, so good. I used special dark chocolate. The richness and little bitter of the dark chocolate, the crunch and a fun little burst of sweet juice of the pomegranate work so well together. I added just a little salt and I think that complimented all the flavors.


My Scones Recipe with Scrumptious Pomegranates or Cranberries and Orange Zest

courtesy of finecraftguild

Double the recipe if you love scones. They will last a few days, and they make a fabulous breakfast and/or afternoon tea snack.
  • two cups flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (i omit this often, but it cooks better if you include it)
  • 1/2 cup ice-cold, unsalted butter, grated or cut into tiny cubes
  • 1/2 cup of pomegranate seeds or cranberries  **I used pomegranate seeds
  • 1/2 cup of milk (but half & half, sour cream, heavy whipping cream, evaporated) milk is yummier) **I used some heavy cream just because I had it and it needed used up
  • 1 egg
  • teaspoon of grated orange zest 
  • **my dough was still too dry, so I added the juice from 1/2 of the orange I zested
Note 1: if you use dried rather than fresh cranberries, you may wish to add a tiny bit of liquid.
step 1: preheat oven to 400 F | 205 C
Step 2: combine flour, 1/3 c sugar, baking powder, baking soda + salt.
Step 3: mix in the butter, till it resembles coarse meal.
Step 4: add pomegranates or cranberries and orange zest.
Step 5: Add the milk and the egg.
**and juice from 1/2 orange if it is too dry
Step 6: Combine well with your hands.
Tip: dust your hands with some flour before you begin.
Step 7: roll 6 balls, flatten them before you put them onto your prepared* cookie sheet or porcelain baking tray. **I just pat out 2 circles and then make cut marks (to serve 6) into each flattened thick circle...probably about 1/2" thick
Step 8: Bake for 15, or till golden brown.
Cool for a few minutes before serving.


POMEGRANATE FUDGE

YIELD: 25 PIECES

PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES

COOK TIME: 5 MINUTES

TOTAL TIME: 15 MINUTES

INGREDIENTS:

1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
3 cups chocolate chips (any variety, depending on how sweet you want your fudge)
arils of 1 pomegranate, about 1 cup
**I added a good pinch of salt as well

DIRECTIONS:

Line a 9x9 pan with plastic wrap.
In a small sauce pan, heat the sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips together, stirring constantly, until the chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat and gently fold in all but 1/4 cup of the arils.
Pour mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Gently press the remaining arils into the top of the fudge.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting and serving.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

2 comments:

  1. These both look and sound great! Thank you for the recipes! (By the way, I got the wide washi at Michaels.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These both look and sound great! Thank you for the recipes! (By the way, I got the wide washi at Michaels.)

    ReplyDelete